Monday, October 13, 2008

Talking politics



I thought this article in today's Rocky Mountain News was great.

For the newspaper feature writing class I'm teaching this semester, it's an excellent example of how to take a topic that real people can relate to -- talking politics with others in a heated political campaign -- and turn it into a story.

I'm not sure I'll even try the tips the story suggests, and there are several reasons for that. Mostly I'm just tired of the political campaign season and its emotionalism. The mute button on the remote control has become my saving grace -- I just can't take another political ad. I skip most of the political stories online and in the newspaper. I already know who I'm voting for and what I'm voting for/against in terms of ballot issues, and nothing anyone says -- even a discussion, heated or not, with friends or colleagues -- is going to change my mind.

In the classroom, I keep my mouth shut (for the most part) regarding politics. I feel like I'm outnumbered about 25,000 to one on campus -- you can guess my political affiliation from that statement. My family is definitely divided on politics. The good news is my husband and I see the same way on most everything, so at least there's peace at home. The bad thing is we have such similar temperaments, and this political season has just made us mad. We've both had to avoid all things politics lately.

There's a group of senior citizens at a local Starbucks I frequent who show up about the same time every day and talk -- you guessed it -- politics. They've been doing this for several years, and I find it entertaining to listen to them. The Republicans seem outnumbered by the Democrats in the group, but it's rather heartening to me that they're all still friends. I never hear any shouting come from their corner of the coffee shop. Perhaps we all have something to learn from them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Discussing politics in the workplace has always been a complex topic, but when it comes to talking about voting preferences and political views, conversations that might start out as intellectual forays can quickly disintegrate into various forms of "us versus them."
----------------
oliviaharis
interactive marketing