Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer colds

What's the deal with getting a cold in the middle of summer?
I woke up Sunday morning, and my throat was dry and scratchy. I thought it was just a result of sleeping with the fan on for several days in a row. But the scratchiness didn't go away. In fact, it's turned into sniffling, sneezing and that out-of-breath feeling just walking around the house or exerting myself in any simple way-- all symptoms of a cold. I usually get colds in the fall or winter, but I've never had one in the middle of summer. It's 90 degrees outside, and I'm inside sneezing, sniffling and wanting to take a nap.

I saw a blurb on a medical site on the Internet that said summer colds are just a misnomer for hay fever, i.e. allergies. Nope, I don't think these symptoms are just allergies.

I think I may have picked it up from my students, several of whom are also muddling through summer colds. Oh, well. I do feel a little better today, well enough to exercise this morning. I think I may head out into the sunshine this afternoon.
I guess there's a bright side to having a cold in the summertime: At least there's warmth, sunshine and all those fun summer things to do waiting for you outside once you feel better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne!

Welcome to my world... with kids, that is! I don't know why, but I'm STILL surprised by summer colds. I keep telling myself all winter that it will be summer soon... and the kids STILL get them. Three of our kids and I got one last week... they do seem to go away a little faster in the summer, though.

I'll pray for you :)

Patty B.