Thursday, March 08, 2007

Teaching journalism ethics

I feel a bit conflicted every semester around this time. I teach journalism at a college in Denver, and the curriculum includes a segment on ethics. I've run into plenty of ethical decision-making moments in my journalism experience at newspapers and magazines. It's one thing to grapple with ethical issues in a newsroom with other journalists. It's another thing to try to teach college students what the ethical standards are.

Journalists generally have a poor reputation among the public regrarding ethics. The stereotypes abound. Journalists are pushy and insensitive. They care only about getting the story, not caring for the people involved in stories. I contend we get many of these stereotypes from the mass media's own portrayal of themselves -- i.e. television shows and movies with characters who are journalists. Not many people have ever had personal contact with an individual journalist, so their perceptions of journalists come largely from fictional characters on unrealistic programs.

I went to college at the University of Missouri-Columbia, one of the country's finest journalism programs, where my professors taught me "situational ethics" -- essentially, figure out what's right and wrong based on the situation. There is no absolute right and wrong you can apply in each and every situation. I can see that at play in certain areas of journalism, but not all. What about stealing? Is it OK for a journalist to break into an office and steal a document off someone's desk, for example, because the story is important enough to steal for? You can always figure out a way that the ends justify the means.

That brings me to the ends justifying the means in our personal everyday ethics. Individualism is king. Courtesy must be convenient to be worthwhile. The prevailing point of view is, "If it serves me in some way, then fine, I'll abide by the standard." If it serves me to be nice to someone, then I'll be nice. If I can get ahead in my job, then I'll help someone else. If it makes me look good, then fine, I'll play along and pretend like it matters to do the right thing. And this comes into play not just in "big things" like going after work promotions or dealing with a difficult family member. How about taking a ream of paper from the office supply room, lying to your child's teacher, butting in front of someone in line at the grocery store?

I find it ironic that surveys show a generally poor public perception of journalists and their ethics. The average person doesn't have higher ethical standards than the journalists they criticize. In fact, a 2005 study done at my alma mater shows journalists rank among doctors and pastors in using the "best quality ethical reasoning" when making decisions. Journalists in the study were significantly more ethical than the average adult.
Surprised?

No comments: